Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sunnyside

My friend, Ellie Bug, works for the government. What she does who she really is isn't top secret, but I'm not going to tell you because her privacy is top secret.

Not so long ago the government sent her to do some work in Central Utah, coal country. Our destination, Sunnyside.

My friend was still fast asleep while I was at the store buying my digital camera. I'm actually very afraid of cameras, but this one seems pretty gentle.

Ellie Bug took the first photo:



That's me driving. This is Ellie Bug sitting in the passenger seat taking pictures:



She good at what she does, and she does everything. I'm fond of her.

Before we get to Sunnyside, Ellie has some business to take care of in Wellington. Before you say anything stupid that you might later regret, let me assure you that Wellington isn't your grandmother's town. This place is insane. Maybe more insane than Sparta or Ikea.



Before you try to casually cross the street, be very aware that they have traffic coming from all kinds of directions.

Ellie Bug doesn't have a lot of business to get done in Wellington. On our way out of town we stop for lunch. You know what lunch is like, so I won't bore you with all the details. Photographically, these are the highlights:















Sunnyside is a place with an impending identity crisis. It's a mining town without a mine. Her only natural enemies are globalization, the rise of America's service economy, and the ever menacing East Carbon.













While Ellie Bug is busy doing work for the man, I explore. I mostly find small houses, brittle, yellow grass, and multiple stray dogs (pictures taken but not presented for lack of interest).

When Bug is done, we decide to get out of the bustle of downtown and move up into the hills. We stop to trade some pelts for grains and cured meats, and head to the edge of the wilderness.









There is no mine, but several mining implements remain. I climb while Ellie takes pictures with her real camera (she is a much better picture taker than I).

We drive and climb and take pictures in the hills until our supplies run low. We head back into the city taking more pictures on our way out.







All in all, a great time was had by all. Sunnyside was fantastic. Ellie Bug is a superlative traveling companion. And life is good.

No comments: